How do you prepare yourself?
Before your appointment with your doctor, you might want to write a list that answers the following questions:
- What are your symptoms and when did they start?
- Are you receiving treatment for any other medical conditions?
- What medications and supplements have you taken in the past five years, including over-the-counter medications or illicit drugs?
- What are all the occupations you’ve ever had, even if only for a few months?
- Do any members of your family have a chronic lung disease of any kind?
- Have you ever received chemotherapy or radiation treatments for cancer?
- Do you have any other medical conditions, especially inflammatory or autoimmune diseases?
- Did you have any blood work done looking for inflammatory or autoimmune diseases?
- Did you undergo a tissue sampling from your lungs?
At the appointment, your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
- How long have you been short of breath?
- Do you get short of breath easily?
- Has the breathlessness worsened rapidly?
Read about what doctors look for